Visit our Shop on ETSY - ETSY.COM/CA/SHOP/CaribooCollectibles
Vintage ephemera is so much fun to peruse through. There's an abundance of inappropriateness, opinionative self interest and false propaganda - all of it marvelous reading material for hours of joy! Included in this Kitchen Ephemera Pack #1 is 240+ pages of authentic material consisting of cookbooks, product pamphlets and food guides.
About this Ephemera: Aeons ago before the advent of the internet, manufacturers would often produce their own cookbooks whereby the sources for these recipes remained somewhat dubious. Some would host nation-wide "contests" where winning recipes were selected for publication; but one thing was always clear, and that was their own products would always be prominent entries within those recipes. Shameless self-promotion, you might be thinking? Shady maybe, but far from illicit. It happened all the time, and still does. Take the example from the image at the bottom, a snippet from the Canada Starch Co. Limited. They not only produced an extremely biased 'recipe' book that favored their own products, but they charged money for it. The image below is a page taken from that book, which is meant to be a guideline for feeding human babies. Seems like a LOT of corn syrup for one baby in a single day.
What is included in this pack: All original material; you get the authentic vintage paper, not a facsimile. Books & pamphlets included in this pack:
• Canada's Prize Recipes (Canada Starch Co. Ltd). 128 pages. Published: 1930. Price: 10 cents.
• B.C. Fruit Preserving Guide (Okanagan & Kootenay Orchards, BC). 16 page pamphlet. Published circa 1940s.
• Let's Serve Canned Salmon (Dept. of Fisheries Canada). 18 page pamphlet. Published 1968/70.
• Edwardsburg Corn Syrup - small 1-page foldout. Circa 1930s/40s.
• Neilson's Recipes - small 8-page booklet. Circa 1930s/40s.
• 103 Way to Serve Bread (Canadian Bakers Association). 48 pages. Published: 1936. Price: 25 cents.
• New Recipes (Procter & Gamble Company). 20 page booklet. Published: 1931.
Condition: Varying degrees of condition, some fading & small tears etc.